Saturday, February 28, 2009

Forward, MARCH!

I've mentioned before that I have a particular disdain for the month of February. It bears mentioning again.

February is a short, miserable, placeholder month. There's no real football being played--the Super Commercial (adds and hype interrupted by bad play) doesn't count. The two other seasons I care anything about--deer and duck--have closed. The weather stinks--alternating rapidly between soft spring-like teases and raw winter blasts.

February is a basketball month. I hate basketball. My hatred for the sport is rooted in its hatred for me. Basketball and I belong to an exclusive mutual acrimony society. I loathe the height-loving, ball-bouncing, no-contact shoe-squeaking and it revels in its enmity for me, putting my lack of court talent on quick display if ever I venture under the hoop.

February is a fallacious feel-good month, with holidays hijacked and invented to promote this and sell that.

February dies today. I'll dance on its grave tomorrow.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I disagree with you about February. Specifically down here in Florida. It is still warm enough that the bugs are attacking. However, there are some decent things about the month. Like President's Day is not really that bad (except most people aren't off work unless your gov't worker). The other good things are that Deer season lasted through the middle of Feb and you have a little time to prep for Spring Turkey which starts in March (bugs still out during all this though). Also, I like basketball and it does like me.

Ed Gregory said...

Happy for you. Doesn't diminish my hatred one iota. Some things just get on, and stay on, the Colonel's bad side.

Samantha West said...

You know, I have never liked Valentine's Day. I much prefer a spontaneous gift on any old day to a gift that a guy felt he had to by because of a holiday. That spontaneous gift has a lot more meaning!

Ed Gregory said...

Yep, if you try to make up for a weak showing in the "I care" department on just one day, that's pretty pathetic in my book. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Mad Dog said...

I was gonna join you in dancing on February's grave. The problem was I couldn't find it. It was buried under ten inches of snow. 11 degrees this morning, but should hit mid 70's this weekend. Maybe we will see spring after all.

Semper Fi!