Monday, June 15, 2009

Social Event Horizon

The Colonel has decided that Facebook is the event horizon of the Universe's single greatest, super-massive, time-sucking black hole. The temporal distortions observed while caught in it's gravitational pull are truly mind-boggling.

For instance, the other day I connected with a friend from high school. The last time I saw her was 35 years ago. In my mind's eye she and the rest of our gang, contact with the vast majority of whom I lost almost immediately upon graduation, remained frozen in a late teenage stasis reinforced from long time to time by glances at their faces in our yearbook. Her profile comments on her FB (I feel so hip) page mention that she is an empty-nester. Whoa! I told the comely and kind-hearted Miss Brenda at lunch today that I was having a hard time getting my head around the fact that our high school chums could be empty-nesters. She, not so kindly, reminded me that we have been empty-nesters for nearly a decade. That really spun my gyros!

The Colonel has also decided that the virtual mini-reunions made possible by social networking programs on Al Gore's invention are in many ways preferable to a traditional gathering. You get to show your best face on-line. You have plenty of time to think up that witty repartee that never came quick enough all those years ago (and still doesn't). You don't have to worry about trying to remember names. You can ignore those who you really never liked and blame it on power outages.

Thirty-five years since high school graduation--amazing.

No comments: