Monday, April 21, 2008

Simple Pleasures

It is amazing to consider the choices of entertainment available to homo sapiens at this point in our galactic ride. We can do most anything we can dream of (and can pay for). Those of us with who can afford it (and many, many more who really cannot) spend outrageous sums and travel to great lengths in the pursuit of transitory happiness. What our grandfathers only dreamed of doing (and scrimped and saved for) once in their lifetime, we (particularly in this most affluent nation on the planet) do every weekend--and charge it on a credit card. The largest industries in history are now devoted to separating us from our cash and credit in return for thrills. And, I freely admit to being a member of the "chasing thrills at great expense" club.

But, I gotta tell you, yesterday afternoon, sitting next to Miss Brenda on my dock on Lake Brenda with a cane pole and a carton of wrigglers, catching bream and catfish, was as much fun as I have had in years.

Next month, Miss Brenda and I are going to spend another exorbitant sum of hard-earned cash on a trip to Alaska. We expect to experience a trip (to a place we have long wanted to visit) that will be worth the expense. But, I betcha that during a quiet moment somewhere in the middle of those two weeks and in the middle of the Alaskan wilderness, I'll think of my place at the northern end of southern nowhere... and, well..., I'll want to go home and sit on my front porch and listen to the whippoorwills as the sun sets.

Then, I'll go add another $20 to the Alaskan tourism economy for a glass of orange juice.

No comments: