Monday, November 21, 2005

Thanks

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of the year, for a number of reasons. I like Thanksgiving because it is a truly American holiday. I like Thanksgiving because it has not been (yet) severely trampled under the stampede of commercialization--most likely due to its calendar location between Halloween and Christmas. I like Thanksgiving because it brings the family together without the pressure of gift-giving. I like Thanksgiving because it marks the beginning of my favorite time of the year--duck season. But most of all, Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday because it provides an opportunity to review my life and thank God for His blessings.

I thank God for His unfathomable grace, in that while I was a sin-rotted, hell-bound corpse, God sent his son, Jesus, as a final sacrifice for... me.

I thank God that He loved me so much that, while I did not, and do not, deserve her, He sent Brenda to be my best friend and life-mate.

I thank God that he blessed me with parents who raised me right and children who grew up right despite my blunders.

I thank God for men and women who answer a calling to be hard, disciplined, and sacrificial in defense of a nation so that its citizens can be safely soft, undisciplined, and free.

Yep, Thanksgiving is my favorite time of year.

No comments: