Saturday, August 18, 2007

"O' brother, where art thou?'

We were a pretty special group. We had no idea at the time, but looking back on those awkward, amazing, adolescent days through the telescope of faulty but fond memory, it's easy to see that something beyond us was working around and through us.

The one distinguishing feature about all of us was that we were sons and daughters of military men. Well, para-military at least--hard for me to assign full military status to the Air Force, to which many of us were "dependents." What brought us together in the same geographic space was the fact that our fathers were stationed in the Panama Canal Zone, either at Howard Air Force Base, Fort Kobbe, Albrook Air Force Base, or Fort Clayton. We came from families originally formed in every corner of the country and the globe. The Canal Zone was for all of us just the latest stop on a trail of world-wide wandering from military base to military base. We had not grown up with each other since infancy, but quickly bonded as if we had been life-long friends. We were thrust abruptly together for a brief moment in time, and just as abruptly split asunder.

What brought the core group of us together was the labor of love of a young missionary by the name of Jane Downs. I don't believe her church had sent her to Panama to minister to American kids specifically, but that quickly became her calling, as far as we were concerned. Her Tuesday afternoon Bible study was the proximate event to which we were originally drawn, like so many wayward moths to the light of The Truth.

I have, shamefully, lost track of many of that special group. But, the ones I am still in touch with fill me with pride at their accomplishments. At least six of that group went into the military out of high school, either enlisting or getting commissions via the Air Force Academy or ROTC. One of us went into the ministry out of college. Ironically, he is now the only one of us still on active duty in the military, having gone into the Army Reserve as a chaplain and now ministering to war-wearied soldiers and families at Fort Stewart. I know where the prettiest girl and best mother in the group is today--she shares my bed.

Wish I knew where some of the guys like Reuben, Ricky, and Jeff are today. Don't think I have heard from them since the regular-occurring military-ordered diaspora swirled through our midst at the end of that remarkable time, scattering us like dust from a whirlwind. I last saw Dan, then a pilot for Delta, in Atlanta 16 years ago. Mike, the Army Chaplain, stays in touch. I last saw brothers Joe and Tom at Parris Island the day five years ago that Tom's son became a Marine. A year before that, Joe and I collided, literally, two colonels in a bunker in Seoul, having not seen or heard from each other in over a decade.

A part of me wants to begin a search, find them all, and bring them together again. Another part of me fears that special group won't seem so special upon our reunion. Would we have anything in common, now? Would we quickly tire of the game of "remember when" and grow quiet with the realization that the great gulf of time separating us from the jungles of Panama prevents us from really knowing each other?

It's a risk. But, one worth taking.

5 comments:

Mad Dog said...

Col. Gregory, I had the same reservations about tracking down old drill instructor associates. As you know, I caught up with SW this past January after 30 years, but have not seen him yet. Another, I visited in July, 2006 when I took terminal leave from the police department and rode my motorcycle to Vernal, Utah to see him after 32 years of no contact. I heard you regret the things in life you did not do more than the things you did. Contact them, you may be all pleasantly surprised!

Semper Fi!

Maddog

Anonymous said...

Ed, Maddog is right. Track us all down. We probably still have more in common than we could imagine! Let's get together and see.
Charlie, retired from Military Intelligence, was in San Diego a couple of years ago. Karl, recently retired from the Louisiana National Guard, is a Deputy Sherriff in Alexandria.

Funny how small this world is. a 1SG I work with was a child at Ft. Kobbe when we were in HS; his father was 1SG of the Artillery Battery (remember when they grossly missed their target one Saturday?). And another Chaplain I work with was a private in that same Battery two years later.

Michael
"Rock of the Marne"

Anonymous said...

Look em up, ED! Try zabasearch.com - having a unique name helps some. I have lost your email since you moved to MS. What is with COL Sanders there anyway?

Randy McConnell
jrmccon@comcast.net

Anonymous said...

Gentlemen, I stumbled across your posts while trying to track down information on Jane Downs. She worked with youth in our Chicago area church in the early 80's.

One day she walked into our Jr. High Sunday School class and said something astonishing. She said, "I love Junior Highers!" Then she went on to prove it in no uncertain terms (arguably not an easy task).

I lost touch with her many years ago. Can you tell me anything about her?

Mike Todd
Hialeah, FL

Anonymous said...

Hey, you guys! This is Jane Downs! How fantastic to hear from you and find out that you still remember me!

I have been in touch with Jeff Miller, Dan and Jay Davis. I now live in CT in my old homestead. I work as a teacher's aide for children with special needs and love it! I am also old..an old bag, you might say.