Thursday, July 05, 2007

Timing is Everything

I take pretty radical positions on many issues. The difference between me and most other commentators on the scene is that I posit from experience, or at least a firm understanding of the subject. Yeah, I'm bragging, but I have good reason to this morning.

When it comes to military strategy and the congruency (or lack thereof) of our nation's combat operations with our national strategic goals, I have some training and experience on which to base my comments.

Ditto leadership, history, political science, and hunting and fishing.

When it comes to the immigration debate, I have a first hand stake in the discussion. My daughter is an immigrant from Hong Kong, adopted into our family at the tender age of 4 1/2 years.

Oh, by the way, she was born on the 4th of July.

Actually, her birthdate is July 5th. Several years ago she and I were discussing her birthday and she lamented that she had not been born on the 4th instead of the 5th. "How cool would that have been, Daddy?"

I wasn't sharp enough at that instant, but later as I was thinking about her comment I remembered a quirk of geography (at least man's accounting of time with regard to geography). I called her back and said, "Jessica, you WERE born on the 4th of July."

"No, Daddy," she intoned, sounding as if I were already bedridden with no memory. "I was born on the 5th. I have my birth certificate to prove it."

"Sweetie, Hong Kong is a day ahead of the United States on the western side of the International Date line."

"Huh?" I could hear the fear (shared by her siblings) in her voice that she believed I was launching into one of my inescapable and lengthy history, political science, or geography lessons.

"It was the 5th of July in Hong Kong. But it was still the 4th of July in America. You were born on America's 4th of July."

"Cool, Daddy!"

Happy Birthday, Sugar Bear!

No comments: