Thursday, March 09, 2006

Show Me the Money!

A recent e-mail discussion with a college buddy and fellow Marine dredged up some feelings that I am surprised to still be harboring. He retired from the Marine Corps a year after I did and we have shared e-mails and phone calls for the past year regarding our separate and mutual business ventures. I must admit that he seems to have embraced the capitalist spirit with much more gusto than have I.

This "for profit" stuff is still a bit disconcerting to me, even after 2 and 1/2 years as a "money-grubbing civilian." For three decades I paid scant attention to my compensation, and when I did, my feeling was that I was being overpaid for something that was my duty and that I loved doing. I can honestly say that I didn't sign up for the pay check.

During my brief foray into the business world, I have been amazed that someone will pay me so much money for my ideas and some simple decision-making! I almost feel guilty taking their money...almost.

After spending most of my adult life defending the Republic, and the capitalism for which it stands, I find that I'm not a very good capitalist...yet.

No comments: